Friday, December 15, 2006

A Giant Disaster

Fans forced to endure 1 more dark year of Giants baseball

Schmidt is gone, Bonds is back, and as much as he tries to spin it, there is no doubt that Magowan, Sabean and Co. are to blame.

They have undoubtedly now thrown in the white flag with this signing. Magowan simply could not allow Bonds to take less money and break the record elsewhere (if there even was another interested party).

With Bonds around, baseball remains in the steroid era and in this regard, the Giants are now its mascot. Magowan is turning his head the other way to turn a buck and what's worse, everyone knows it.

So with that said, I want to extend an invitation to our ill fated owner to sit next to me in the stands at Fenway Park during Father's Day Weekend next season. Before last week, I actually would have gotten a chance to enjoy the game. Now? I'm forced to go incognito.

What's sad is that it's not that I can't take crap. It's that for the first time in my life, I'm actually ashamed to be a Giants fan. I'm ashamed to show public support for a team that is looking to shake every dollar out of a player with absolutely no sense of morals or loyalty. Bonds is loyal to Bonds, so what do I owe him?

Thanks to Magowan, every Giants fan outside of the Bay Area is the elephant in the room? Don't believe me? Go to a road game this coming season and then tell me you actually enjoyed the game.

So here's to the last year of a dark era in Giants baseball and the wish that one day, the Giants will get "younger and healthier".

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can attest to your statement. I live in Houston now raised in the Bay Area. I went to all three games against the Gmen this year. Bonds was sitting on 713. The fans were vicious and ruthless. I took my 9 ytrold daughter Jessica to the first game. I was wearing my Gmen jersey and hat. She was wearing her pink Giants hat. You wouldn't believe the comments that were made towards us. We had to leave in the 7th because she was crying. On my way out , I screamed at the section I was in.."Nolan Ryan smokes crack!! No fun at all being a Giants fan on the road.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, but the lack of social graces at MLB satidums pre-dates Barry Bonds. I stopped wearing any Giants gear to Dodger Stadium 20 years ago.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a fan on the road is hard no matter where you are. Some are worse than others. I try to catch as many Giants/Cards games as I can, but I've never had any major problems with the STL fans. I do get a ton of shit at bars when I wear my Giants sweatshirt though.

Though it would make life a whole lot easier if Bonds wasn't on the team. Just seems that whenever I strike up a conversation with a non-Giants fan it always comes back to Bonds.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh ... shut up little whine bag losers. I'm proud as hell to be a Giants fan ... any true Giant fan is also a Bonds fan. Unlike you losers, I'm not some out-of-town complainer. I have season tickets right behind home plate and go to as many games in a season as you losers have been to in your life. My son and I treasure every Bonds at bat and are sick and tired of imposters like you claiming to be real Giants fans. Bug off losers!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should Giants fan be loyal to Bonds? The guy has been injured for two years, he's old and simply cannot play like he used to. Yet he makes a big fuss and holds out for 18 million dollars, when that money could be better used for younger talent. Giants management could not bear to see him break the record in another uniform, and he knew it.

Call us complainers or imposters or whatever. You enjoy those Bonds at bats with your son; I'd rather not have to endure another sub .500 year because we spent 18 million on a player who can't be out there every day.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why in the world would I care what some hypocrite fan on the road thinks and why should Magowan. The fact is that Bonds is a draw on the road, creating more revenue for teams that the Giants visit and MLB as a whole.
You are ashamed to be a Giants fan, don't let the door hit you where the good Bonds split you.
I always enjoy road games, some moron trying to give me crap for wearing the orange and black or for rooting for the best player of this generation would simply add to my good time.
The hypocrites, haters and whiners can shove it.

-sayheykid_1

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two more things...If you think that Bonds is keeping baseball in the "steroid era" and once he is gone it is magically over, you are a fool.

To the person that wrote:
[i]Call us complainers or imposters or whatever. You enjoy those Bonds at bats with your son; I'd rather not have to endure another sub .500 year because we spent 18 million on a player who can't be out there every day.[/i]

Ypu honestly think Bonds will hurt the '07 team/ How? You said that the Giants will be under .500 BECAUSE of Bonds. That is ridiculous.

-sayheykid_1

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Bonds will hurt the team's chances. I think using a lot of money that could be used on other players will hurt the Giants. If he manages to somehow stay healthy, I'm sure he'll play fine (not the way he used to, of course), be it's not going to be 18 million dollars worth.

He is not worth what the Giants will pay him.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what players are available that the Giants could get using the money they are paying Bonds?
Apparently, they are offering Zito a ton of cash, so it isn't like they are unwilling to spend more than what they already have.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine